UPDATE: Jazz Band Rehearsals will now be Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday over break. Nothing after than until we are back in school the following Monday.
9:30 optional work on solos (email me)
10:00 to 11:30 Full Rehearsal
11:30 optional work on solos (email me)
Totally understandable if you have family plans and are not able to attend. I am offering this for those who are around and want to “keep up their chops”.
Remember we perform Tuesday at the HS (2/23) and again on Tuesday in Brewer (3/1) for Districts. I will send details about these later next week. For now… this is what you need to know/do.
1) Get your attire ready (black, white, & grey)…
2) Timing on the 23rd at HS – 6:00 performances (arrive by 5:30).
3) Timing on the Districts, on March 1st, is currently unknown, but plan on missing some school that day.
4) Practice, of course
- Mr. Ellis
Jazz Band performs the TWO TUESDAYS in a row after break! First at the High School for Island Jazz Night (2/23) and second at the District Jazz Fest in Brewer (3/1).
Recognizing the immanent performances, some of you were interested in having some rehearsals over break.
Monday, Wednesday and Friday over break
10:00 to 11:30 in the morning
Again, these are optional (I don’t want anyone to cancel family plans). Just a big of extra practice for those who are willing and able. Also, for those with solos, I will be here early (9:30) and/or can stay late (until 12:00) on any of those days.
A few things you may need to know about today: Friday Jan 29th…
1) NO Band Lessons Today - Sorry to those who had lessons scheduled. Something has come up and I need to leave in the morning (after 4th grade band rehearsal).
2) NO Jazz Band after school - see you monday, and don’t forget your first recording is due by Sunday night.
3) Pep Band Tonight (optional) - 6:00 in the High School Music Room. Please note that I will not be there, so parents should be present during the event. If you forgot to ask me for a packet of the pre-game music, remember it is right on the website HERE. Also, don’t forget your music – the 4 pieces we are playing at half-time. Again, they are on the website if you forget them.
4) There WILL be Chorus to today - Mrs. Edmondson will run the two pieces we have been learning. Next week, new music (Seasons of Love from Rent).
That is all – Happy Friday! – Mr. Ellis
If you are going to participate on Friday (MS Pep Band Night at the HS), the pre-game music is below. NOTE: There is not any percussion music (the High School students tend to learn those parts by rote) and I have yet to put together the French Horn music (will do tomorrow).
Pep Band Night – C Parts (flute)
Pep Band Night – Clarinet
Pep Band Night – Alto Sax
Pep Band Night – Tenor Sax
Pep Band Night – Bari Sax
Pep Band Night – Trumpet
Pep Band Night – Trombone
Pep Band Night – Bass:Tuba
Email Me if you are going and need me to print you one of these packets. – Mr. E (firstname.lastname@example.org)
In case you were wondering, here are our major musical events for the remainder of the year. – Mr Ellis
29th – MS Pep Band Night at HS
20th – Show Choir Dress Rehearsal (9:00 to 2:00)
23rd – Island Jazz Night (Jazz Band)
26th – District Vocal Fest (Show Choir)
1st – District Jazz Fest (Jazz Band)
19th – State Jazz Fest (Jazz Band)
31st – Show Choir Extravaganza at HS
1st – State Vocal Fest in Millonocket (Show Choir)
5th – K-2 Spring Concert, 6:00
10th – Swallowtail Fiddlers @ Hancock Tech
11th – 3-4 Spring Concert, 6:00
26th – String Festival at HS
30th – Band performs for Memorial Day
1st – Emerson Spring Concert
View FULL CALENDAR HERE
JAZZ BAND: Here are your NEW practice & recording assignments.
1) Practice Daily (use links below), even if it is only for a few minutes. PLAY ALONG with recordings (below)!
2) Record yourself playing each piece (one a week) for next three weeks. Use app below and email recordings to me. This is mandatory. Those who cannot fulfill this task jeopardize their position in Jazz Band.
3) Practice Your Improvisation: Those with solos, use the iReal Pro app (links below). I will meet with each of you next week to evaluate your progress. Only those who practice improvisation will get the solos.
LINKS to AUDIO FILES
Big Swing Face
Chili Today Hot Tamale
Willow Weep for Me
SHEET MUSIC (In case you left your music at school)
Big Swing Face
Chili Today Hot Tamale
Willow Weep For Me
Improvisation Practice Playlist for iReal Pro on ipad (will not work otherwise)
Jazz Improv With Mr. E
Recording and Emailing Audio for ipad
Sound Recorder – Audio, Voice & Music Recording
Jazz Band Sixth Graders have permission to bring home ipads. Do not abuse this.
The fun comes only after the hard work. Right now, it is time to put in the hard work!
Hello BAND students!
Below are links to recordings for the new band music.
Say Hey: LISTEN
Uptown Funk: LISTEN
Are you home and you forgot your music?
Don’t worry, the sheet music is posted here…
Say Hey (I Love You)
UPDATE 5-8 Gr Band: Due to the 5-8 schedule changing for the 7/8 grade “Music Week”, we will not be able to have our 5-8th grade band lessons – SORRY! I’ll still see you in Band (and Jazz Band) rehearsals! We will resume the lessons on Mon, Jan 11th. – Mr E
Note: This does not impact 4th grade lessons
I am very excited about getting back to playing music this week! Here is a quick summary of what is going on…
• 4th Grade Band: Yes, back to normal routine, but check the schedule for slight changes.
• 5-8 Lessons:
Yes, we are back to normal with lessons restarting this week! Lessons Schedules will be posted in classrooms and in google calendar as usual. UPDATE: Due to the 5-8 schedule changing for the 7/8 grade “Music Week”, we will not be able to have our 5-8th grade band lessons – SORRY! I’ll still see you in Band (and Jazz Band) rehearsals! We will resume the lessons on Mon, Jan 11th. – Mr E
• Jazz Band: Yes, Mon and Fri after school, plus Wed morning, same as before the break.
• Band: Yes, during specials, but not 5-6 Band during Learning Lab on Wed this week due to Music Week.
• Chorus: We have another week off before re-starting (due to Music Week)