Hello all Band Students!
I think our Full 5-8 Band needs a “name”. Calling ourselves “The Conners Emerson Band” is fine, but I think we need something with a little more pizazz… Give it some thought over the break and come back with ideas.
It would be great if the name we pick:
1) is connected to the school name in some way, and;
2) speaks to our ability to perform for the community.
ALSO – I just added Audio Tracks & Music for Practicing! Posted HERE
• 5-8 Band Students, you should have a flip folder with all of this music ready to go for any event. We will work on this after April break if you do not have this done yet. I have a bunch of folders and more pages. Again, Music Posted HERE
• 4th grade Band Students – I anticipate playing this music at a variety of functions next year. Feel free to get a head start and challenge yourselves on this music. Again, Music Posted HERE
Hello Jazz Band Students/Parents,
If you are interested in ordering a professional photo of the Jazz Band from the State Festival, they are posted in Division 3 here: https://ajmp.smugmug.com/ . Password: “Jazz” – Here is the group photo (low res scan).
NOTE: There is also a “silly photo” you can order (not shown online), and the single student photos needed to be requested in advance.
To order photos, fill out and email this form: Photo Order Form to email@example.com
Select Choir (or “Voices of the Round Table” as we are also known) have rehearsal after school today (Wed 4/6) from 3:15 to 4:30. If you are not able to attend, make sure you email me.
Also, the website has a new “practice page” HERE, but students should see me for part assignments.
Band Students in grades 5-8 will be receiving performance assessments for Band this trimester (you will see them come in the mail soon!)
On the assessments, I refer to the 5 Levels of Performance in 5 Focus Standard Areas. Here is the document I use for each and every student to evaluate and keep track of their knowledge/ability.
Parents/Guardians: I am sharing this with you so that you know more of what we expect Band students to be able to do at various stages (or years), of playing a musical instrument. With this knowledge, you can also speak more directly to your budding musician about what they need to improve upon in band. Rather than, “just practice”, you could say, ” How about working on your scales so that you can get to the next performance level?” Or, “I think you need to work on your music reading, yes?” Again, the document, is HERE.
Thanks for being a supportive band parent! Or, if you are a student (and actually made it to the bottom of this post), kudos for being an informed Emerson Musician! – Mr. Ellis
There will be a Jazz Band gathering tomorrow morning (Wed, 3/30) at 7:45 to go over the feedback from the festival. I will be handing out solo certificates as well.
QUESTION: Has anyone posted video online? I have not seen the performance yet and would like to add it to the school’s youtube channel.
FIRST PLACE – STATE JAZZ FESTIVAL – DIVISION 3
Fantastic Job Emerson Jazz Band!
If you see any Jazz Band students from other island schools,
congratulate them for a job well done in Division 4
JAZZ BAND PARENTS and FRIENDS
There are a few things that are available to purchase at the Jazz Festival tomorrow. You can order everything at the festival, but if you want to plan ahead (or are not able to attend) here are the order forms.
Festival T-Shirts: T-Shirt Order Form
Photo(s) of the group: Photo Order Form
Video of the group: Video Order Form
Note: Photos can be sent to Conners Emerson to avoid the $10 shipping.
And, below is a link to all of the info needed for tomorrow. Please check in with me if you are taking your child after the 6:30 award ceremony. Students should arrive here at CE tomorrow between 12:00 and 12:15 to pack up the bus.
Thanks! – Mr. E
INFORMATION on the Jazz Festival: STATE Jazz Festival, Newport, 3/19/16
• The special rehearsal with our GUEST ARTIST will now be Wednesday from 2:30 to 4:30! The late times with our guest artist DID NOT work out (thanks to those who took the time to fill out the form). Wednesday from 2:30 to 4:30 seems to work better for everyone. That would start during Learning Lab and go after school. Thankfully it looks like that will work for our guest artist as well. If anyone would like to schedule an additional one-on-one 30 minute lesson with our Guest Artist, who is a prominent jazz artist from NYC, that can be arranged after the rehearsal. Let me know.
• We perform our show for Conners and Emerson at 8:30 and 9:00 on Wednesday morning. Parents/Friends are welcome to attend. We are still having a 7:30 rehearsal that morning (mostly to set up and warm up in the gym).
The late times with our guest artist DID NOT work out (thanks to those who took the time to fill out the form).
Wednesday from 2:30 to 4:30 is the new scheduled time.
STATE Jazz Festival, Newport, March 19th 2016
• Dress is Black White and Grey – Keep it appropriate and “classy”
• Bring Money for Concession Food and Dinner
• Eat lunch before we depart (or bring a lunch)
• Students can go home with parents, BUT YOU MUST CHECK IN WITH ME BEFORE YOU LEAVE
12:30 – Depart CE
2:15 – Arrive at Nokomis HS (Newport). Unload. Get in attire.
2:30 to 4:00 – Eat Concession Food and/or Watch other groups
4:15 – MEET UP IN HOME ROOM
4:30 – WARM UP
5:00 – PERFORM
5:30 – Pictures
6:30 – AWARDS
7:00 – Go to Bangor Mall for Dinner
7:45 to 8:30 – Bangor Mall Dinner and “Hang”
9:45/10:00 – Arrive back at CE
The general public is welcome to attend. Admission Fees: Adults $5.00, Students/Seniors $3.00, Family $15.Concessions will be in designated areas. There is no admittance during any performance once the doors close and the band is playing.
DOWNLOAD and PRINT